|What is food allergy?
- Food allergy is an inappropriate immune response to an otherwise harmless food.
- True food allergy involves several types of immunological responses.
- Food allergens are usually proteins.
|What are the symptoms of food allergies?
- Abdominal cramps
- Pruritic rashes
- Laryngeal edema
|What are common food allergens?
- Tree nuts
- Sesame seeds
- Cereals containing gluten
- Food additives: sulfites and sulfur dioxide at levels above 10 mg per kg or per liter.
|How to deal with Food Allergy?
- People who have food allergy need a total avoidance of the offending foods.
- Read food ingredient list.
- Eliminate cross-contamination during cooking and preparation.